Friday, April 13, 2007

if only to be closer to you, caroline

i finally found the cd i've been desperately looking for--ryan adams' 29.

i'm sitting here attempting to make a makeout cd for the potluck tomorrow night and i'm listening to 'carolina rain,' and all i can think about is how i want to be riding through the darkened delta, barreling toward a porch.

that porch has a yellow light bulb,
mosquitoes that will eventually annoy the hell out of me,
humidity that drips down my back,
and a rocking chair to lay my head on so that i can listen to my own breath.


i want to be in water valley. i want to listen to clarksdale, to yazoo city's alligators yawning, to oxford's shameful tales.

jesus. mississippi pumps through my veins with a deafening roar.

1 Comments:

At April 18, 2007 7:01 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Thank you for a post that makes me ache a little for my own impending homecoming, in a good way... comforting thoughts of the heavy heat breaking a little mercy with nightfall, slower tones, the solitary, reflective drives from Mississippi to my grandparents' humming-bird loving, creeping-tendriled porch in Alabama. For someone who spent her whole young life moving from place to place, your words are a welcome reminder that I did feel at home somewhere, and I can trust that I will again.

On any given day, I hope you're writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home