Friday, May 26, 2006

i feel a song coming on

i've been listening to NPR a lot this week, mostly Fresh Air, to change up my music habits at work. by the way, if you don't know the absolute gem that is Fresh Air (i want terry gross to be my baby-mama), it's on every day and then posted on npr.org.

i've made my specific effort to listen to Fresh Air because terry's had Leonard Cohen and Willie Nelson (my papaw-sugardaddy) on talking about new books. Cohen has, of course, a new book of poetry, Book of Longing. Willie has published a book about happiness called The Tao of Willie.

then i was surfing around for something else to listen to and today i stumbled upon the Jennifer Sharpe-produced commentary on Stairway to Stardom, a pre-American Idol public access show from 1980s Manhattan. the videos have made their way to the internet and have garnered a cult following.

and HOLY SHITE i can see why:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=69DFD9F834502B13

watch the videos. there are singers, dancers, and A MONOLOGUE ABOUT RADIATORS by a woman named Precious Taft. and bj the messenger in a ski mask and beret rapping "Crackhead."








i'm shouting because i'm excited.

A MONOLOGUE ABOUT RADIATORS.

4 Comments:

At May 26, 2006 9:37 AM, Blogger Beth said...

LOVE Fresh Air. All Things Considered/All Songs Considered sometimes introduces good stuff too, like when they featured Jenny Lewis and I listened to "Rabbit Fur Coat" allllll day. So wait - can my NPR addiction help me be less of a music-moron?! (Btw, I was listening to the Fresh Air w/Leonard Cohen in my office all day yesterday. Did you ever see the movie 'Exotica'? Super creepy...)

 
At May 29, 2006 6:08 PM, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Willie Nelson & Leonard Cohen are awesome. I love their music. Regarding Exotica: It's a great film. Atom Egoyan also directed The Sweet Hereafter, which is I think even better.

 
At May 31, 2006 2:13 PM, Blogger Polly said...

have you read that Tao of Willie book? I've been VERY interested in what it has to say...

 
At May 31, 2006 2:26 PM, Blogger neola said...

i haven't read it (yet), but i think it's a safe bet that it's a mellow reflection, much like willie's songs.

one of the reviews noted that willie told jon stewart that he he "wrote" the book because "some guy asked me to."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home