Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Santa Ana winds blowin' hot from the north

finally, a few words about los angeles.

i flew out almost 2 weeks ago to hang with my friends amanda and ben in honor of his 30th birthday. while there i saw many things: the getty (gorgeous gardens!), mulholland drive (i looked for david lynch, but he must have been putting down the pie at bob's big boy), cowboy curtis (aka laurence fishburne), alan arkin's baby boy, adam (in the valley!), and a line for rock star: supernova. there was lot of fun in between and i was just so delighted to see my friends after so long.

so, here's some photos for your enjoyment:

as promised to my friend, jason, i stalked tom cruise. no suri, but he has little feet and worked the witchcraft on me:

witchcraft

the hollywood rock walk featuring one of my favorites (the whole thing was a rock freak's dream...the cure, brian wilson, X, the ramones, etc):

i heart robert smith

me on mulholland drive. no david lynch, sadly:

uh. breezy?

also, if you really know my humor, then you'll know why i even took this blurry photo:

pappy cleaner

what's a pappy cleaner?

in addition to the few fun times i took photos of, we also went to this really awesome seedy bar that reminded me of those forgotten motel bars. the purpose of the speak easy cocktail was to celebrate ben's aforementioned 30th birthday. the bartender was ruthie and she was scottish and it was so awesome when she sang along to 'sweet caroline' and ALSO had her own cds in the jukebox. i asked her about it just before we left and she explained that while she doesn't record now that she's in the states, she does do the karaoke. music of choice?

"mostly country. it's the music of GOD, you know."

i love l.a. (we love it).

i can't get the west off of my mind.

3 Comments:

At September 06, 2006 8:22 AM, Blogger ben said...

YAY NOLES!!! we miss you again already! next time you need your pappy cleaned, you come on out here, got it?

 
At September 20, 2006 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good God...after Pappy Cleaning it may be hard to impress you. I do believe Portland and I will have to pull out all the stops to top that. ;)

 
At October 07, 2006 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pappy cleaner! i saw a sign in washington today, well it was on this huge concrete wall in the city of concrete and it said on red paint on the concrete wall:

WELCOME TO CONCRETE

I wish I had a picture

 

Post a Comment

<< Home