Saturday, April 12, 2008

and I wanted in your storm so bad/I could taste the lightning on your breath

Listening: songs:ohia, "Coxcomb Red"

Once upon a time I found a lot of joy in writing about music. I feel like my approach to reviewing or talking about music should be about the experience one feels in listening. I think that I have, in the past, done a pretty great job of relaying what I personally experience in listening, e.g. reactions to lyrics, emotional surges from strums or feeling the toms on my eardrums via headphones. While I appreciate music writers who feel it more necessary to express their thoughts on the mechanics of music and comment on production value, it's not my scene.

That being said, I have committed ten minutes of each weekday to writing specifically about an album, a song, an artist. I've asked a great friend, an accomplished music writer whom I greatly admire, to accompany me in this experiment. The idea is ten minutes a day for five days will get the beginning of something, even a profile. The weekend is for editing and emailing to each other, as we're on opposite coasts right now, and then critiquing, making suggestions and then onward for more. I am putting all of this here because I'll need a reminder of the solid commitment I need to make to improve. Also, the fruits of that labor will then have a home here.

My first attempts will be with:
Essie Jain: We Made This Ourselves
She & Him: Volume One
The Mountain Goats: Heretic Pride (way overdue, of course)
Yeasayer: All Hour Cymbals
Grand Archives: Grand Archives





Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home